Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Being Changed By Him ♥


Today we had Chapel....and it changed my life. A man came and spoke about his mission work in Indonesia with the Dao Tribe. These people had been waiting to be told a "great message" and when they were told the Good News about Jesus Christ they were changed. They were willing to do anything to learn to read so they could read for themselves this great Word and tell others about it. They cling to the Word of God because they know that it is the very words of our Creator. I have been here at Word Of Life for a whole semester now.....I've been taking 5 hours of classes for about 3 months now. Countless hours in the Word and yes I have been changed, but I don't cherish His Words like the people of the Dao Tribe. Why? I realized today how numb we  have become to the Word of God...how numb I've become. I've grown up in church, constantly hearing Bible story after Bible story. I thought I knew everything......then I came here and found out  I knew nothing. After being here for a few months I felt like I had changed a lot, but after today I feel like i'm not being changed enough. I started thinking what is the difference between me and these people? Why don't I cling to the Word like they do? I realized that I have so many "things" in my life that there is hardly ever any room for God. These people have nothing, they only have God and His Word. Sure I read the Word....but do I cherish it?! Do I cling to it? If I know that His Word is all sufficient than why do I search for fulfillment in other things? How do I even go one day without reading it, meditating on it, praying through it? Psalm 19:7-11 says this about God's Word  
" 7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect,
      reviving the soul.
   The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy,
      making wise the simple.
 8 The commandments of the Lord are right,
      bringing joy to the heart.
   The commands of the Lord are clear,
      giving insight for living.
 9 Reverence for the Lord is pure,
      lasting forever.
   The laws of the Lord are true;
      each one is fair.
 10 They are more desirable than gold,
      even the finest gold.
   They are sweeter than honey,
      even honey dripping from the comb.
 11 They are a warning to your servant,
      a great reward for those who obey them."

God's Word is more desirable than gold! In today's Quiet Time we read in 1 Peter 1:23 that we have "...been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever." The Word is alive and active! Why do we not cling to it and take it seriously?! I want to read His words and be radically changed by them. I don't ever want to get to the point that I read His word as just a book. These are the words of our very Creator! They are from the One who holds our very breath in His hands! 2 Timothy 3:16-18 says "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." I feel ashamed today as I sit here at my desk with 4 Bibles in front of me. So many of us have grown up in church with Bibles readily available to us and yet we act as if we only need God on Sundays. Our Bibles collect dust and so do our consciences. I am convicted today about my attitude towards God's word. How much do I value it? How much do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment